Friday, May 13, 2011

"Wannabis"

I’m getting so used to my life here that I almost forget it was only a week ago that Sarah and I could not even manage to buy toilet paper. Even my horrible attempts at ordering food or dealing with paperwork seem to be getting more manageable, as I’m no longer as flustered by the irritated people who can’t understand me. However, no matter how at ease I look in Russia, I’m still noticeably American, and I can’t help but feel like a Russian wannabe.
Yep, We're Russian "WANNABIS"
Aside from the fact that most women in Petersburg wear high heels and their best clothes wherever they go, there are some weird cultural differences that immediately mark me as a foreigner. For example, yesterday we were sitting on a step outside and an older woman came over and started fussing over us. I asked her if we were allowed to sit there and she said we were, but she kept saying we shouldn’t because the steps were too cold. And this morning, Sarah and I were running late to class, so we were eating some bread and jam as we left the building, but the lady behind the counter chided us, saying that we needed plastic bags for our bread. I didn’t think much of it until we met up with Elizabeth (a Rhodes student studying abroad in Petersburg for a semester). She told us that, from what she’s seen, no one eats on the run. Probably the only thing she’s seen people eating and walking with is ice cream (which explains all the stares in the metro…). Also, in Russia, not only do people not sit on the ground because it’s dirty, but many women (most likely older ones) believe that if girls sit on cold surfaces, their eggs will freeze!

But aside from the whole infertility thing, I got to see some more historical places today! Random fact: Mendeleev (who discovered the periodic table!!!) lived at our university, and Blok (poet), who married his daughter, was actually born in a house on our campus! So today, after class, our teacher took us to see Mendeleev’s apartment! It was so cool! It had his notes and books and letters from the Czar! So much history on one campus!! And to top it off, both buildings were literally right outside our classroom! Ahhhh!! I swear, I can’t go a step without seeing some sort of famous historical building! I love St. Petersburg!
The Church Outside Elizabeth's Metro Station
But I also love my friends and family back home, so don’t fret; I’m not going to move here and never come back…….

No comments:

Post a Comment