Thursday, May 12, 2011

Normalcy

We didn’t end up going to the zoology museum because our homework took forever to finish. However, we did pick up our finished visa registrations and we got some photos of the Church of [our Savior on] the Spilled Blood nearby, which was supposedly built on the site where Emperor Alexander II (the one who freed the Russian serfs) was assassinated in 1881.

Church of the Spilled Blood
It turns out our labor over the homework was for naught, as we went over almost every word in class. Nevertheless, it was helpful having already looked over it. Tomorrow, we have a different teacher who will be helping us with grammar, and I hear she’s strict but good.

It’s weird to say it, but other than that, our day was pretty normal. However, I wish I had more opportunities to speak in Russian. I know I’m in Russia, so I’m getting more exposure than I would in the states, but our hall is full of foreign exchange students, so it’s hard to find Russian friends. I think it’s especially hard because Lisa, Sarah, and I walk around together, so it’s probably intimidating to approach three foreigners who know minimal Russian. Sarah and I are planning on sitting in the park during our break tomorrow, so maybe we’ll meet some more Russian friends there…I’ll let y’all know how that goes.

I’m going to go sit in the laundry room in a bit. It’s the only other place that has internet on this campus, so maybe I’ll find some people willing to converse with me. Gosh…I feel like a predator looking to subject my victims to horrifyingly basic conversations in Russian! Oh well. Practice makes perfect :)

No comments:

Post a Comment