Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dinner at Zaou Min's

It drizzled this morning so out came the rain boots. I lugged those suckers halfway across the globe so I’m making every effort to put them to good use…And as I trudged through the (very light) downpour in my stylish (though unnecessary) rain attire, I was struck yet again by how very fashion conscious everyone here is. It’s probably just because we’re living in a big city, but everywhere they go, people seem to be wearing their best clothes. The girls all wear beautiful shoes and tasteful outfits, and though some of the guys may need to ditch the mullets, for the most part they all look very put together…And then there’s me, with my jeggings and Rhodes Track and Field jacket….every time I get on the metro, I feel people’s eyes look over me, as though I’m not aware that I am in dire need of new shoes or a leather jacket. It’s okay though, I’m just a silly American :)


While riding the metro is always a curious affair, I was always slightly jealous of the students in the other dorms, who only have a 15 minute bus ride to campus. However, I got to see a glimpse of life in one of those dorms today, and I’ve realized that, while their dorms are much closer to campus, ours have much better security. We still had a great time though, as one of our classmates from China cooked dinner for us. Her name is Zaou Min and she’s one of the most adorable things I’ve ever seen. She doesn’t speak much English, so we make do with our limited Russian vocabulary, and while she’s probably one of the best students, she has a strong Chinese accent, so our conversations are quite comical.
After our eggs and onions!

Examples from today’s conversation with Zaou Min:
To Lisa: “You are a sex!!!...*confused stares by the lot of us*….a a a hot girl!!”

About her boyfriend: “I love him, but studying Russian more important than him.”

We exchanged e-mail addresses:
“This is your name! You like yourself…you too! you too! In China, you are just number.”
(Apparently, in China, you never include your name in your e-mail address, only numbers)
"Krasivi (pretty) smiles!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment