Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kuntskamera horrors...

Last night I actually fell asleep writing my blog, so my apologies for not posting (yet again). We visited Kunstkamera (questionable spelling…), which was Peter the Great’s collection of oddities. There were some pretty interesting displays on indigenous peoples around the world, but the most well known exhibit is the collection of bottled organs and abnormal birth defects. There were babies with two heads, excessive hair growth, no brains, parasitic limbs, etc…much more than I cared to see. In fact, if you want to quash your desire to reproduce, this is the museum to visit… Pictures were prohibited, but I’m not even sure you would want to see them…
The only blog friendly picture I found
(Courtesy of Google)
I also revisited Calvary Chapel…FYI, they don’t speak any English on Wednesdays. But the person I sat next to made me feel very welcome and most of the songs we sang had familiar tunes.

Today was not as fun, as I lost my little notebook in which I’ve been keeping all the random names, facts, and words that I’ve learned during my stay. As I have a horrible memory, the loss was very tragic. So, to make up for the loss, I bought a collection of Tolstoi’s works at a bookstand (only 120 rubles!). Moreover, Sarah and I were given chocolate for our translation work. Chocolate always makes me feel better.

And our class is a completely different group than when we arrived. Only Zaou Min, a guy from Greece, and a girl from Korea remain of our original friends, and we’ve added people from America, France, Serbia, China, and Britain (I’m sure more will be arriving shortly). Poor Zaou Min! She’s staying here an entire year and I get the feeling she’s going to be making a lot of temporary friends!


Only 1 week left and I’m frantically trying to fit everything in (Tomorrow we’re having a Dostoevsky tour, and on Saturday we’re going to Novgorod)! Too few rubles and too little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment