Sunday, June 5, 2011

Novgorod: My favorite village in Russia

Today we visited Novgorod, a small town about three hours from St. Petersburg! I can’t even express how perfect it was. All I can say is, if you get the chance, YOU MUST GO!! Moreover, it gave our stay in Russia the perfect balance between the busy city and nostalgic country life.
Veliky Novgorod
Our wonderful guides were two 17ish year olds (Professor Kostina’s niece and her niece’s friend), and they totally outdid themselves making sure we saw everything we needed to see. We explored the Kremlin, investigated the souvenir market (about half the price of Peterburg’s), and had “traditional Russian food,” or blinis, pies, and salads.
St. Sofia's Cathedral
(One of Russia's earliest cathedrals still in use)

It was such a beautiful town that, for the first 30 minutes, I had my camera in hand snapping pictures of everything from the painted trees to the historic churches. I looked like such a tourist already, but what I really needed was a video camera... *sigh*.
Bell!

If I were to live in Russia, I think Novgorod would be the place to live. Granted I visited on what could possibly be the best day in the year, but thus far, it has been my favorite place.
Mom, I might be staying a little longer than planned...

No comments:

Post a Comment