Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hermitage and Swan Lake! Last day!

Yesterday was my last full day in Russia and I attempted to make the most of it by drowning myself in art. I pretty much spent the entire day in the Hermitage, both before and after class (for free!), and was finally able to see the famous third floor, housing pieces by some of the most well known artists in the world. I saw rooms of Picasso, Matisse, Monet, and more! Unfortunately, my favorite work by Matisse (The Goldfish -I had a print of it in my room growing up) is in Moscow’s Pushkin Museum of Art…maybe I’ll just have to drop by Moscow next year??
Last Metro Ride of the Year!

I actually think I might have gone into culture overload though… I was so overwhelmed by so many famous paintings on a single floor that I couldn’t even take any pictures or notes. I went through the floor several times and I was a little weak in the knees out of sheer awe! However, I can now say that, with four visits, I am 90% sure that I saw all the rooms open to the public in the Hermitage…I say 90% because it’s pretty big and I might have gotten lost a couple times…

We (Emma, Jenn, Lisa, and I) ended our day seeing Swan Lake at the Conservatory. For only 400 rubles, it was a beautiful performance, and I’m amazed that the dancers were able to imitate swans so well! And it got me thinking…how does one write a ballet? Do they say, “do a Fouetté en tournant, but try to make it really swan-like. And when you’re finished, wiggle your foot like a bird”? They must have a lot of really specific technical terms…
Swan Lake at the Conservatory

Wow. I can’t believe I’m leaving in a couple hours! It seems like just the other day I was arriving in a dazed state of confusion! I still don’t understand most of what’s said, and the Komandant is still chasing after me for more paperwork (I need a stamp to leave…), but at least I’ve gotten comfortable knowing that I have no idea what’s going on.

Back to SA town and my gang of summer pals! Can’t wait to eat some breakfast tacos!!! I’ll write in either the London or Chicago airport, where I will be withering away for combined total of almost 24 hours. Gah…

No comments:

Post a Comment