Friday, June 10, 2011

My Russian Adventure is Over! до свидания!

Following a 13 hour overnight stay in the London airport and four movies on the plane, I am happy to announce that I am back in the good ol’ US of A, and boy am I excited! Exhausted, but excited.
Go on without me!!
During my overly long, wifi-deprived stay in London’s oh-so-beautiful (but not really) airport, I was able to pass the time talking with my neighbors. I chatted for a long period of time with one really nice lady traveling from England to Australia to visit her daughter. She reminded me of a cute little grandmother and she kept telling me to go eat something before I shriveled up. I let her know that I would not starve (I had food in my bag), and talked about the various places we have traveled. However, I apparently came off as a budget strapped student in need of assistance (maybe it was the holes in my shoes?) because right before she left she threw 10 pounds into my hands and refused to take it back. I felt so touched by her generosity and it has definitely been a lesson for me. She said that someone did it for her children when they were young, so she wanted to pay it forward. All I know is, if I ever see traveling students when I get older, I hope to do the same.
Tatiana, our Grammar Instructor
Sleeping in the airport was also adventure, albeit a very nerve-wracking one. I had planned on just staying in the terminal until the next morning, but as it got later, all the passengers left and workers started swarming in to close down everything. I started feeling uneasy, so I moved closer to the only other lady in the building, and I was glad I had done so because next thing you know, we were told to leave the terminal. We had a stressful trek back to Terminal 1, where we were met with all the overnighters.

Now I realize the airport is no hotel, but I felt as though we were second class citizens with the brisk manner in which everyone was treated. I did have it easier (EU and US passport holders had the option to land themselves, so when I didn’t, one of the officers filled up my water bottle before locking us up), but no one even offered to help any of the other passengers. Moreover, we were later woken up and herded into an even smaller room to sleep in, and we were awakened in the morning by loud claps and shouts of “Everybody up!” Nevertheless, the tickets were with frequent flier miles, so I can’t really complain…though I was really glad the Nairobi woman was there; she didn’t understand a lot of English, but it was still comforting not being the only girl. (We also slept next to some Russian men. It felt like my little secret that I could understand them).

This morning, I ate breakfast with the Nairobi woman and left her the rest of the money I had been given (she was staying until the afternoon). I then flew to the states and am almost finished with my day in Chicago.
I'll be back, Novgorod!
It’s so weird being in this state of limbo. I’ve really mastered the Russian metro look, so it takes me by surprise when people smile at me. I swear I haven’t forgotten how to smile, I just forget to… I also keep turning my head when I hear American accents, so I look somewhat spastic. And on top of it all, I am torn between thinking about Petersburg (where I hope Lisa and Sarah had a party on my empty bed), and home (tacos)!
Awkward Family Photo!
I’m certainly missing everything already, but it’s good that I am finally seeing my fam again. I guess this is my last blog of my journey, though I may update if I have any extras to share with y’all. I’d like to thank my many, many followers for their faithfulness, and I hope y’all are having a great summer!Thanks again! Now, to find a job…
Update: Home at Last!
(I have the best sisters in the world!)

No comments:

Post a Comment